Sunday, January 31, 2010

By the light of the speaker

So many of today's gadgets have indicator lights on them, turning our homes into star spangled applause. A bright blue light from my desktop speakers, a brilliant white light from the end of my laptop charger cord. A red light glows from inside my mouse.  A green light blinks at me from the smoke alarm. My Blackberry blinks green, red, blue, orange and yellow, depending on the status.  Green and red from the microwave's time and program. Turquoise letters and numbers on the stove panel.  Status lights on your vcr, dvd player, stereo components, television, and most all cell phones when friends come to visit. 

My clock radio also has it's own electronic display happening.  Power bars hold another status light that glowers at us from beneath desks, behind entertainment stands, or next to the bed. We are gadget maniacs. I'm just as guilty as the rest. Most of these indicator lights are LED now, so very little energy, and bulbs last longer.  But we have lost the darkness from our homes.  I often orient myself in the dark to the glowing lights here and there, guiding my way like a chorus of dwarfed and confused reindeer.


It's what I enjoy most about camping in the wilderness - no residual light, just mother earth and all her goodness as it was meant to be experienced. Camping season is just around the corner, and camping in a vw camper will be much warmer, so I can go earlier!  I just need to get the camper. In the meantime, I shall continue to plan and prepare for the trip, and sit by my new lamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment