Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another Day, Another Drunk

Walking home from the ferry terminal today, I spotted a EHS services gurney in the path. Okay, who left that there? Then I looked down over the bank, in the kiddie park, near the railroad tracks. There were two paramedics, two coppers, and one very inebriated older fella. The paramedics had obviously cleared the guy, as they headed up over the bank and talked about bringing the gurney back to the ambulance. The coppers attempted to get the old fella up, as he had been sitting on the railroad tie fencing...then I spotted the cane.

Okay, interesting. The coppers dragged him by the underarms out of the park, and attempted to cross the railroad tracks...it didn't work and down he went with a THUD as he tripped and they dropped him. His bald/shaven head barely missed the outer railroad track. The paramedics continued on their way, trying to remember where they parked the ambulance, and one of the coppers threw the older fella's cane up on the grassy bank, along with a set of keys, swearing and cussing as he went. Then they went back to pick him up. I was passing by the scene at this point, and unless I stopped to stare, I was moving out of view...so I kept going. All I can say is they were pretty rough with him, and very lucky he did not crack his skull open on the railroad track. I nearly spoke up to the paramedics who were right in front of me as I passed them, and told them they might want to hang around a bit as the police were dragging him along...but then I decided my opinion would not go over well...ahhhh...life in Dartmouth Cove...

No comments:

Post a Comment