Tuesday, April 7, 2009

One Of Those Days

How's this for a segue wrap-up of the day...

It was pouring rain and wind beat into me on my way to work today, popping my pitiful umbrella several times. I was pretty wet by the time I got to the bus stop. At least it wasn't raining on the other side, so I walked up the hill in just damp fog so thick, I couldn't tell if the walk sign was on until I got to the curb...


My dad's health has declined somewhat, and my mother was upset, so I grabbed my work together at the office and headed home again, to spend the day at their place, with my paperwork to work on and keep them company. I had mostly documents to review, so I could just read on the sofa while my dad slept, and keep my mother company. I would bring my laptop to write up a few notes as well. Sometimes my mother just needs someone else in the house with her so she doesn't feel so scared to deal with the gravity of the situation. I can understand, so I don't mind hanging out with them for the day, and work on my own thing inbetween a few minutes here and there to chat, and get a bite to eat. Should have been simple, right. The forces were against me to get there today.


I am given a laptop to use for work, and it is locked to my desk by a combination cable lock. Those things get stolen from offices these days as the single unit is easily turned into money, or drugs. So we each get a lock with the computer to lock 'er down. I couldn't remember my combination number off the top of my head because I hadn't used it since I put it there two months ago. I did however, store the number in my personal blackberry. Of course, when I went to pick it up and look it up, my blackberry had died. Within the last two minutes as it was flashing when I put it on my desk after getting to work. Shit. Now what. I had to call the HELP desk to see if they kept them, as I didn't choose it, it was taped to the package when it arrived at my desk. Yes, they had one. But my computer wasn't registered to me, they had someone else. Ok, so now I have it...give me the password. After waiting about 10 minutes, he was finally able to look up the password, and give it to me, thus freeing the book for home. But wait, where is the power cord. I didn't get a brand new laptop, so it was just there when I got there. I hadn't taken it out of the office yet, so hadn't really looked for one. A 20 minutes search through the offices around me located one that would fit, belonging to someone else. I didn't check the bag, just the connection and shoved it into my bag. Alright already, let's get the show on the road. I packed up my new government bag and headed for the ferry terminal. It's pissing down rain by that point, and I popped my umbrella a few more times. The puddles I had skipped around earlier were now lakes to trudge through.


I made the ferry with a few minutes to spare, and we chopped across the harbour. It was the most choppy I'd seen it on the ferry since I began taking it across in January, but the wind was strong, and the lops were high. I was across in no time, and grabbed a bus shortly after for my street a few stops down. I parked my car at the foot of my stairwell, and now it was in a huge puddle, and the grass next to the lot was soggy and mucky. I was wearing hiking sneakers, summer ones with openings in them. My feet got wet, of course. Stomped up the stairs in the pissing rain and made my way in the door. I grabbed a few things, not knowing what was in store when I got to my parents, as it could be a long night. I put down my keys before going into the bedroom to grab my pyjamas...and then I came out and left the house. Shit. I just locked not only my house keys but my car keys, and my parents house and car keys in on top of Stormy's condo. Shit. Wait...I have a car key at least, in my bag...which I had put into my car before I trudged up the steps...hopefully my car has not realized I am not in the car and has locked me OUT! FUCK! So down the steps I tore, hoping against hope, and thankfully, I was able to get into the car. Phew. Good thing, because my blackberry was dead, remember? I couldn't even call the landlord...I didn't have a quarter on me.


So as I went to get into the car from the driver's side (I had put my bags in the car from the passenger side) I noticed my seat was wet - WTF? Shit again. I had been out the night before and didn't remember to put up my window...had it down a crack...which in the pissing rain, turned it into a rushing torrent onto my seat. DAMMIT! And I couldn't get back into the house to get a blanket, a garbage bag, something to keep me dry on the ass...however, being the girl guide that I am, I remembered all of my camping gear in the trunk. It was still pissing rain, so I didn't root around too much as my ass would get soaked as I leaned into the trunk to get something, defeating the purpose...so I grabbed a vinyl tablecloth, brand new one I bought months ago for our camping trip in the desert...unused of course. But whatever, it worked, and I jumped in and got moving. Let's get this show on the road.


I got to my parents, settled in, and took out my work laptop to set up shop and get to work. Dammit, there was only half the power cord there...and my parents didn't have a laptop, so I couldn't even borrow one. Closed up the laptop and put it away. I spent the rest of the afternoon reading through facility documents for inspections coming up. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.......they were interesting enough, but after a couple of hours of that, I was ready to nod off. I popped out for a Tim Horton's coffee and to pick up a package at the post office down the street from my house. I received a card earlier in the day for it. It wasn't there. They weren't sure where it was, but they knew it wasn't there. They also weren't sure why I was at their post office for my packages, given where I live.


Supper was upon us before long, and I wasn't real hungry, and my dad was having seafood. (I don't eat seafood. At all.) Taking advantage of my mother's home made bread, I toasted a few slices, and poured myself a glass of chocolate milk. We had picked up the carton a few days prior to see if my dad would like it for something different to drink that had extra calcium added. He didn't like it, and my mother wasn't impressed either, so I tried it. It tasted a little different, but I thought oh well, maybe it's the calcium...I should have investigated further...I drank about half the milk and ended up with a slimy portion stuck to my lips as I was sipping a bit more...oh, ewww...something lumpy at the bottom, maybe it's separated, sour, who knows. All I know is I spit it back out and took it out to the kitchen to dump down the sink. Um, what is that thing still in the sink? Something slimy and jelly like...and made of chocolate milk. And it has a blackened portion along one side...WHAT THE FUCK? That was what was about to go into my mouth...UGHGHGH, I want to puke just writing about it. I think I shall have a word with the store about this. And the manufacturer...sigh...

So it was one of those days...what wonders shall tomorrow bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment