Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter Weekend Happenings

The long weekend started well enough for me. I was off on Thursday as I work a modified work week. It was sunny, I painted some patio furniture, I sat out on Good Friday. Then it clouded over. It's been raining since. Thunder and lightening last night, sending the resident coward, Stormy running under the bed. Where would he go if the bed was on the floor?


Babydaddy from downstairs picked a fight early this morning. Nothing like having a chat with the police on Easter Sunday morning about why you were fighting, after having spent the night drinking...all night. I think he agrees it was a stupid thing to do. Insult your neighbor after you've spent the entire night pouring beers down your throat and look suprised when he gets pissed off. The police rang my doorbell by mistake, so off I went thumping down the stairs in my jammies....only to be informed my presence was not required. Great. See you later.


Babydaddy seems to like picking fights. The day before he was waiting for a carload of fellas to come and fight with him. What an idiot. I told him to let them beat him up somewhere else, because I don't want that shit at our door. Babydaddy is 22. His ex-girlfriend is pregnant with twins. These are not his first children.


Saw a man standing at the Tim Horton's this weekend, hugging a huge remote controlled car. The man was about 80+ years old, and the car was about 3 feet long. I'm not sure what that was about, but I can imagine there's a story there.


Had my niece here yesterday for a short visit. She rounded up some of Stormy's mice for him to play with again, while finished up some weekend chores. We went grocery shopping for my parents then, and stopped at McDonald's for some grease. My body paid for THAT later. The police were in the parking lot next door when we arrived at my apartment. They also had someone pulled over the night before, across the street from my house. Watched the whole scene go down from my living room. Sometimes I can see too much...will be glad when the trees finally come out in leaf and block much of it off.


The cannon at the Citadel will be going off shortly. I often hear it from my house, even though it's across the huge harbour, in another city. One day it rattled my windows. I can only imagine what it was like here in Dartmouth Cove during the Halifax Explosion. I must check my book again to get some context, now that I'm living here.


I've put up a couple of bird feeders. One is just a seed bell, hung in one of the many trees outside my house. The other is a hummingbird feeder, for which I made up some sugarwater. They should begin to appear any day now, though I reckon the temps will have to go up again. They have dipped today, and we may get snow yet. The hummingbird feeder is hung off my balcony. I may move it to my eaves if I can reach them. I'm hoping both will entertain Stormy during the day. I had a bunch of them when we lived in the woods in the Yukon. The squirrels and birds alike spent their days in my feeders. One particularly insistent squirrel built a home in the birdhouse that was nailed to a tree. Kept bringing stuff in there to build a nest, like parts of my mop...


The grass is beginning to green in front of the apartment building next door. That's a good sign. I also have some crocuses coming up below my balcony...possibly some seeds that fell below? I can't wait to get some balcony planters filled with flowers. What a treat to live in a climate that supports outdoor greenery so much....I hope I don't mold...

2 comments:

  1. I find the new colour a little harder to read - don't know if it is or if that's just an 'age' thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live in an interesting neighbourhood....

    ReplyDelete