Saturday, February 20, 2010

Apartment Life

I've been in this apartment for 7 weeks now.  Some days it feels like the fire just happened. Then other days, it seems like a distant memory.  I don't particularly like this apartment. I didn't realize how much the loss of a living room space would matter.  There is no window to sit or stand to look out of.  There are lots of windows in this place, however they are all high up and short, and located over an obstacle - kitchen cupboards, the bed in each room, the tub.  I see a lot of sky...


I have been weaning myself off of television in preparation for leaving in April.  It isn't as hard as I imagined, due to the crappy tv setup compared to what I lost in the fire. Just a small 20 inch tv with analog cable.  No onscreen guide so I only get to see what's coming on in the next half hour.  I was also very spoiled by my PVR, and now miss all my shows because I'm either out, busy, or forget. Dammit.  I've missed the new Survivor episodes and The Amazing Race. I have been watching a lot of DVD's mostly ER.


Stormy has settled in for the most part, but I think he misses his window perches. there isn't any way to put him in front of a window in this place. He will have a wonderful view from the camper.  I bought him a hoodie yesteray,  Yes, it looks rather ridiculous but also very CUTE!


I intend to make him a few bandannas too. he doesn't seem to really care. He did initially act like he was paralyzed as cats often do when you put anything on their middles. Then he wore it for the rest of the night without complaint!


I haven't cooked much here. There aren't many cooking dishes here, and I don't see the point in replacing all my cooking and baking products when I won't be able to use them on the trip. So I don't eat many cooked meals, rather I've either been eating out or grazing throughout the day. 


No living room also means nowhere comfortable to sit down and curl up to watch tv or read. There are just the four kitchen chairs, a horrible ripped up and noisy vinyl office chair, and the beds. My bum misses my teddy bear sofa and chair & a half. Boo.


It is significantly quieter here, as the apartment is set back from the road, and the building portion I'm in is made of brick. That's a bonus I guess.  I also can take any of the four buses that pass by there to right outside my workplace. I don't always get a seat and when that happens, I often get off at the ferry terminal and take the ferry across. No crazy neighbors so far...there is however, a young baby living below me. Or at least there were. I haven't seen them in a few days, so maybe they've moved out. These apartments are available by the week as well as monthly, given that they're furnished.


I have a full weekend planned.  I'll heading out to test drive a camper today, shopping after that, sewing after that. Tomorrow I'll be at my mother's in the morning, making up some poster boards for my uncle who lives in a nursing home. His walls are bare, so I can't wait to cover them up with old photos. He remembers the old days well enough.


On that note, I best get my body in motion.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait until you go on your adventure. I hope you'll be blogging from the road. Sounds like you're making the best of the situation. Good for you. Living in small apartments suck ass, I've been there. You mentioned taking the bus to work. Do you still have your car or did miss something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be blogging from the road, and posting photos on my new blog for the journey. Just go to my profile and choose Sunflowers and Sunrises. I don't take my car to work in Halifax - would cost me 4 times as much and take twice as long. I still have my Toyota but it is in the shop at the moment and I have a rental. I only use my car for work when I'm out of the office.

    ReplyDelete