Sunday, May 10, 2009

Motherhood

Today is Mother's Day and I am a mother. It is difficult to remember a time when I wasn't a mother. I became a mother on June 6, 1986, at about 3am. I was 19 and newly married. Flash forward nearly 23 years and my daughter is living on the other side of the country. She had come to visit me while I was working there and stayed after I was finished my term. My mom lives in the same city as I, a first since I left Grand Bruit. Once I moved out, I never lived in the same city as my mother again, until she and my father retired in Grand Bruit. I was living there at the time.

I often long for the days when my grown up gal was a wee one, snuggled on your chest as she slept, smelling ever so sweet. I loved every minute of rocking her, and miss having a rocking chair in my house, the first time in many years. When she was old enough, she would go and pick mayflowers for me on Mother's Day, a favorite to this day. She also made me Mother's Day cards for many years...most of which I still have with me. Sometimes she bought me a card, but she knew how much I liked her homemade cards so often made one. The creative efforts waned over the years, as they do with teenage children. But I didn't need a card to know she loved me!

No comments:

Post a Comment