Sunday, June 28, 2009

Karma's a bitch

So I have some new neighbors in the the building. Two young twentysomething fellas moved into the two-bedroom apartment at the other end of the building. Seem like nice enough fellows, pleasant, quiet, seemed to have jobs...then you add beer.


About 2am last night, I heard voices below my bedroom windows. Not unusual, there are often people streaming out of the bars down the street who walk by. They usually keep on going and the noise fades. Not last night. The voices belonged to my new neighbors and their buddies. I wasn't sure why they were standing in the driveway/sidewalk so far from their apartment in the back. So I got up to see what the hell was going on, and heard one of them call for a taxi...okay, taxi time. Good luck getting a taxi this time of night.


The boys became increasingly louder as the beers kept coming, and the neighbors continued to wait with their drunken buddies for the taxi. There were f-bombs galore, rauchy talk, and that ever present YAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that everyone LOVES to hear in the middle of the night...breaking glass as someone dropped their beer, more laughter, chat, yahoos, etc. I turned up the fan on high to drown out the noise and went back to bed, assuming the taxi would eventually show up and the neighbors would return to their apt and pass out.


Alas...something very different went down. I think I may have nodded off at one point, but was brought to wake again by a female voice...over a radio. The police had arrived. I'm not sure if one of the neighbors called them, or if they simply drove by and saw these drunken buffoons hanging about. Either way, when I got up to see what the hell was going on now, the paddy wagon was there, two cop cars, and one lone neighbor standing up asking about his buddies and where their court dates would be....hmmm. Something went down, anyone's guess, but mine is that the neighbors called in and the fellas got charged with public drunkenness, disturbing the peace, and I think I heard something about a breach of conditions not to consume alcohol....oops... karma is a bitch alright...


The cops stayed for about half an hour or so, and quiet was restored about 3:45am, just in time to get to sleep before the buses begin running by my house, all 6 routes...

2 comments:

  1. I really think you need a new neighbourhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem.

    Someone living in the opposite block came back from booze session with his friends and the half drunk gang just lingered around the carpark below my apartment chatting and purposely leaving the engines of their motorbikes on and disturbing the neighborhood from 2am to 4am...

    ReplyDelete