Wednesday, September 16, 2009

And Life Goes On

I haven't said it to anyone yet, but I just know it's coming. "After Dad died..." or "When Dad was still alive..." or "When Dad was dying...". I think then it may begin to feel real, when it is slipped into the conversation, and not the focus of the conversation. I guess that is a sign that life goes on.


I have spent a fair bit of time in the last few days helping Mom sort out the paperwork that is associated with a death. So far things have been ticking right along, with only minor hiccups along the way. It would be a real chore for my mother alone though, with her limited sight as there are forms and fine print everywhere.


We've also been checking out apartments for Mom as well, with some interesting prospects. There is much to consider for her needs, and I want to be sure she is as independent as she can be. The ones we looked at today would nearly accomplish that as they are right amidst a fair sized shopping area, with two grocery stores, and 4 drug stores. Yes, 4 drug stores. I believe there may even be more. I am beginning to feel like I am in Mexico with all these drug stores in town...there are 4 very close to my apartment as well. Weird. Her hair salon, doctor, and several restaurants, including Tim Horton's, would all be just a few steps away. She is living alone for the first time in several decades. As much as she will miss Dad, I think she may be able to enjoy having a life of her own in the city with old friends and family. She used to live up here in the city many years ago, before she married, and treasured her time here. There are many lovely tree and flower filled parks in the twin cities, so we are hoping to find something near one of them.


My dad's urn has been relegated to the lower tier of a plant stand for now. We are packing up his clothes later this week. I wonder what will find their way into his chest of drawers then? She hasn't decided just what to do with the computer. I have to clean it up first, and format the hard drive.


I head back to work on Monday. I haven't been in my office much this summer. I was on the road a bit, and then I was off work for the past several weeks. It's all a bit of a blur at the moment. It will be good to get back to some kind of routine, as this past few months has been anything but routine. I could however, easily get used to keeping my own schedule.


Life goes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment